How To Use Mashallah (MashaAllah): Everything You Need To Know
Do Arabic words appeal to you? Do you want to know the meaning of the most commonly used word- Mashallah? Well, in this guide we will define this word and provide you with all the helpful information related to this word. So, let’s start.
What Does Mashallah Mean?
Its literal meaning is “what God has willed.” It’s a way to congratulate someone on his achievement. By saying Mashallah you are reminding someone that his success or achievement for which he is being congratulated is awarded to him by Allah will.
If you want to express appreciation for an event or a person, you can say Mashallah.
What is Mashallah?
Mashallah is short form of “Mashallah-Allah Tabarak Allah.” Its meaning is “that in which God has willed, He has or will bless.” You can acknowledge Allah’s blessings that He has bestowed upon you or anyone else by saying Mashallah.
Mashallah And Cultural Belief
In some cultures, people believe that evil eyes are a cause of bad events that happen in a person’s life. It can even lead someone to a graveyard. So, these people use Mashallah to protect something or someone from the evil eye or jealousy. This phrase is considered powerful enough to stop the distress and troubles caused by the evil eye. And this term is most commonly used when people want to avert the evil eye.
In Islamic culture, Mashallah is the Muslim’s why for showing their firm faith in Allah and Allah’s will. They believe that all the good that happens to people is by the grace of Allah.
The worth of saying Mashallah is narrated in a Hadith;
“A man said, to the Prophet, ‘Whatever Allah wills and you will.’ He said, ‘You have put an equal with Allah. It is what Allah alone wills.”
Response of Mashallah
Now a question arises what to say when someone adores something about you by saying Mashallah. Well, there’s not any specific response to Mashallah. But you can respond by saying Jazak Allahu Khayran.
How To Use Mashallah
Whether you are a Muslim, Non-Muslim, or someone from the Balakan region. You can say Mashallah:
- To express your gratefulness, gratitude, amazement, appreciation, and joy.
- To appreciate something good and to congratulate others.
- To Praise the beauty, efforts, and work of others.
- To protect something from evil eyes .
Interesting Facts About Mashallah
- It is believed that this phrase was coined in the early 19th century.
- The feeling of joy that is evoked by seeing something beautiful or hearing good news is expressed by saying Mashallah.
- Many non-Muslims use this phrase to say “a job well done”.
- Non-Muslim cultures that use this phrase most commonly in their daily speech are Urdu-speaking South Asians, Persians, Indonesians, Bosniaks, Bangladeshis, Turks, and many more.
- In Christianity, the usage of this phrase is common in areas that were dominated by the Ottoman Empire in the past.
Mashallah meaning is “as Allah has wished.” Hopefully, this article will help you understand the meaning of this Arabic phrase. Now use this phrase whenever you see something pleasing and stay in touch with us to learn more popular phrases.